Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Exotic Tummy.

This is going to be the second leg of our "Lost in Past Jungle".

After spending so much energy walking around the streets of Manila, we opted to go to Binondo for a little food trip. Mind you that this is a continuation of our adventure so basically even the foods we're going to try are classified as 'adventurous'.


NO. I am not referring to Siopao as it may give you a bad idea of the cat above. hahahaha! We saw this purrrrry friend while buying peanut butter hopia in a bakeshop. Too bad I forgot to ask the name of the store but for a non-hopia eater like me, I actually liked the taste. Still not eating hopia though. There's something about it that does not entice me.


Our category of adventurous falls little extreme than just eating another flavored dish. For today, we definitely swing by Binondo just to taste Soup No. 5 or otherwise THE penis soup. hahahaha! (Okey, I just made that up.) But to be clear, this is indeed a soup made from bull's testes or penis. Extreme right!? Imagine that dangling thing and its balls inside your moooouuuttth. WAAAHH! Okey, stop imagining! It may lead to else where. Anyway, I've been hearing about soup no. 5 for quite sometime but don't really have the guts to try it. Fortunate enough, my male-counterpart Mike is also into adventurous rendezvous. A little curiosity and little push-- I ended up tasting, as Mike categorized it "soft core exotic food", dish.



If you guys are a Papaitan or Beef Innards Stew lover like me then eating Soup No. 5 won't be any problem.

It actually tastes like beef ligaments-- a bit easy to chew.

Soup No. 5, to some, is sought to have Aphrodisiac properties. Basically, some thinks it can increase sexual desire. Weird right!? Initially I thought 'who would believe such story' but after a quick chitchat with the owner of the Four Season Restaurant-- it gave me the impression that they somewhat believe as such.

with ā yí Li Ly. The very accommodating owner of Four Season Restaurant.
阿姨 Li Ly, who by the way immediately asked if I'm Chinese and somewhat gave me the impression "Not Again", shared to us few Chinese beliefs. To them, eating soup no. 5 would increase ones height and about male circumcision- waaaaah! It made my chinky-eyes go round after hearing her story. Sorry folks! I rescind to share it here because I don't want you to have a pre-judgment about Chinese males. May you discover it on your own, if you know what I mean. hahahaha (R-18)

She also talked us to trying other other exotic foods like Turtle soup, eel soup and black chicken. I may consider the chicken and eel but turtle--- nah! Though I am yet to confirm if it covers all kinds of turtles, the fact that Philippines already considered killing and eating Sea Turtles as illegal, I make a stand to NOT to patronize such food. Chinese in Binondo would usually argue that it is part of their culture but have they forgotten that Binondo is in the Philippines. Hence, they must follow Philippine law. I was tad a bit disappointed with this and felt helpless because I can't defend the poor turtles. Protect bio-diversity people.

After sipping the infamous soup, we now round to find a real legit meal. Dropping by the Kainan sa Estero, very famous food stalls for food trippers, we finally had our dinner. Well of course, adventure is still part of the game so aside from ordering bona fide regular food-- we also ordered another extra twist.

Adobong Pusit (Squid) in case I won't like the 'twist'

Taaadaaahhh. Frog legs!!! 


As per wiki, frog legs are better-known delicacies of French and Cantonese cuisines. It is also paving its way to the Philippine tables. Though still classified as exotic, it does not really taste/look 'ewww'.  Also, I don't think there would be any extinction of frogs anytime soon. 

For those wondering, I can attest that it does taste like chicken. The soft meat would give you the impression of chicken wings.



By far, these two foods are the most extreme in my vocabulary. If you are going to ask me whether I'll eat it again or not-- I might answer never again. I just went for the taste, at least I know, but would still go for the regular foods we already familiar. That being said, longing for Adobong porky and Sinigang na Milkfish. 


Ciao people!







Love,
Katerina Bianca



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Let's all spread the love. Good vibes!